Lemon water, as the name implies, is water mixed with lemon juice. It is popularly known as Lemonade. There are various ways on how to prepare lemon juice.
Health professionals proved that drinking lemon juice could boost your body’s immunity, improve your energy levels, and improve your metabolism. Lemon water is packed with essential minerals such as folate, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, potassium, antioxidants, and iron. Lemons are also rich in Vitamin C, which is great for our body’s detoxification process.
In this article, let’s learn about the surprising benefits of this revitalizing, cleansing, and refreshing beverage.
1. Fortifies your immunity against viruses and bacteria
Our body can’t produce and store vitamin C, so consuming more Vitamin C-rich foods and beverages, like lemon water, is important.
Lemon juice, as mention above, is packed with essential vitamins and minerals. It strengthens our body’s protection against viruses and bacteria by producing more T-cells in our blood and protects it from oxidative damage, all thanks to its high level of Vitamin C.
So if you are sick or have a cold and coughs due to the rainy season or freezing weather, experts suggest that you drink lemon water.
What Citrus fruits have the most amount of Vitamin C?
- Lemons: Lemons are considered by many nutritious as the number two on fruits with the highest amount of vitamin C per gram. Every 100 grams of lemon flesh contains about 40 milligrams of Vitamin C which sums up to about 25 milligrams in each medium-sized lemons.
- Limes: Every 100 grams of lime flesh contains a little less than 30 milligrams of vitamin C which contributes to about 8 milligrams of overall vitamin of a medium-sized lime.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C too, every 100 grams of its flesh contains about 20 milligrams of vitamin C.
- Grapefruits: Among all the citrus fruits, grapefruits are the second-best source of vitamin C. Every 100 grams of its flesh contains about 35 milligrams of Vitamin C contributing to about 50 milligrams of the overall vitamin in a medium-sized grapefruit.
- Oranges: Depending on its size, medium-sized orange contains 50 milligrams of vitamin C per 100 grams. However, high heat can diffuse the amount of its vitamin C.
2. Better than Sugary beverages
Sugary drinks like Sodas and artificial or powdered juices contain a high amount of fructose, and calories can be bad for your health.
Let’s take a look at the following reasons why you should avoid it.
- Sugary beverages can higher the risk of Gout. Fructose found in the sugary drinks can increase the level of your uric acid, which can also lead to inflammation and pain to your joints especially in large toes.
- Acidic drinks are bad for your teeth. Soda is full of carbonic and phosphoric acid which can decay and damage to your teeth.
- Can make you fat. You don’t want to have extra belly fats right? Fructose found in sodas increases the production of dangerous fats in our organs such as the liver. It can also lead to obesity.
- It is linked to cardiovascular disease. Several studies show that drinking sugar-sweetened beverages can higher the risk of having heart-diseases. It contains blood sugar, dense LDL particles, and blood triglycerides.
- Sodas can be addictive. Soda contains caffeine and other addictive substances which impairs our brain’s reward system.
- The Too much sugary drink can cause Type 2 Diabetes. Yep. It is proven that sodas and other sweetened beverages can lead to diabetes type 2.
So, if I were you, I would start drinking lemon water because it contains almost no calories, and it’s perfect if you’re trying to lose weight.
3. Replace Overpriced Electrolyte drinks
If you’re a fitness nut or gym-goer, you might spend your money on expensive commercial electrolytes or sports drinks. Sweating due to heavy exercise can decrease our body’s water level. That’s why hydration is very important.
By simply mixing lemon, water, little amount of salt and sugar together, you can have a refreshing and replenishing drink that is perfect for your post-workout hydration.
Here’s a video about Do-it-yourself natural Electrolyte drinks:
4. Boost your mood, energy, and digestion
Having a warm cup of lemon water in the morning sounds good. It helps calm your mind and body, which sets your mood for the rest of your day.
Surprisingly, you can also boost your mood just by smelling lemon scents. Yes. Aromatherapists commonly use lemon extracts with their natural scents as calming-agent.
Lemon water also contains negative-charged ions, which are helpful for your digestion process. Acids found in lemons interact with your body’s enzymes and stimulate gastric juices or bile secretion, which is important to keep the food moving through your body.
5. It can lower your sugar level
Lemon water can be essential to those who have diabetes. It is a good source of an antioxidant compound called Bioflavonoids which lowers and balances the blood sugar levels.
6. Flushes toxins outside your body
Water’s main purpose is not only to transport nutrients throughout our body, but it also carries away toxins and flushes them. Hydration is very important, especially when you’re sick.
The liver plays an important role in your body’s detoxification. It eliminates toxins in the body and washes them out through urination. Lemon water, as mentioned above, contains a high amount of vitamin C, which promotes glutathione for the better detoxification process.
Consumption of lemon water can also reduce the risks of urinary tract infections, lessen the chances of kidney stones forming, and prevent severe kidney-related infections.
7. Alkalize yourself
Lemon is known to have a high amount of alkaline, which can help to decrease your body’s overall acidity level. The study shows that a highly acidic body can be prone to cancer cells development. Hence, it is important to balance your body’s alkaline level by eating nutritious and high in vitamin c foods.
8. Good for the Heart
Drinking lemon water may not solely fortify your heart against heart diseases, but it will prevent damage to your arteries.
Lemon water contains vitamin c while is essential for your heart health. Research suggested that having a high amount of vitamin C in the body can lessen the risks of heart attacks, artery diseases, and stroke.
9. Makes your skin feel rejuvenated
Suppose you want to have younger-looking and smooth skin. In that case, drinking lemon water contains Vitamin C and powerful water-soluble antioxidants, which help attack free radicals in our body and promote healthy collagen production, which prevents signs of aging such as fine lines, sagging, and wrinkle skin. It also makes the skin look hydrated and fresh.
10. Promotes fresh breath
Bad morning breath is caused by a low amount of saliva in our mouth, which is why drinking lemon water in the morning is great for freshening your breath. Lemon contains citric acid, which is an anti-bacterial property that kills bacteria that can cause bad breath.
However, it is advisable not to let the lemon stay in your mouth mainly because, as I said, it contains citric acid that may damage or decay your teeth.
11. Great if you’re trying to lose weight
One unique characteristic of lemon water is that it makes you feel full and causes you to eat less. It may not be the miracle weight loss remedy, but lemon water will help you lose weight.
A study from the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism shows that you can increase your body’s internal temperature, boost your metabolism, as well as burning extra calories just by drinking one cup of warm lemon water.
By simply mixing water and lemon with some different fruits together, you can come up with a refreshing, cleansing, and rejuvenating drink that has numerous health benefits to significantly helps us in our journey to a healthy lifestyle.
I hope the benefits listed above will convince you to try and add lemon water to your diet.
If you liked this article, share it with your friends and family or comment on your favorite lemon water benefit below and consider pinning the following graphic on Pinterest